Overview - How to use Mifegest Abortion Pills
Before Using The Pills
- How far along in your pregnancy are you? Research indicates that medication abortion is most often recommended for pregnancies prior to 10 weeks since your last menstrual period.
- You've reviewed all of our considerations and general advice
- You have a safety plan in case of emergency
How To Use Abortion Pills: Mifepristone + Misoprostol
Note: There are two ways to use misoprostol: putting the pills in your vagina or in your mouth between your cheeks and bottom jaws or gums. HowToUse suggests that you only use misoprostol orally because it is more private
(it dissolves faster) and it has less risk of infection.
- Step 1: Swallow one pill of mifepristone (200 mg).
- Step 2: Wait 24-48 hours. You should wait 24 hours before using the misoprostol, but wait no longer than 48 hours. While you wait, just do the things you normally do in your everyday life, like taking care of your
family or going to work or school.
- Step 3: Swallow a drink of water to make your mouth moist. Put the 4 misoprostol pills (200 mcg each) between your cheek and bottom gums (2 pills on each side).
- Step 4: Hold them in your cheeks for 30 minutes. They may make your mouth dry or taste chalky as they dissolve. Do not eat or drink anything for these 30 minutes.
- Step 5: After 30 minutes, rinse your mouth with water and drink down everything that is left of the pills.
After Taking Misoprostol
what to expect after taking misoprostol here.
- If you experience bad cramping ibuprofen is a good medicine to cope with pain. You can buy ibuprofen 200 mg strength over the counter (without a prescription) in most countries. Take 3-4 pills (200 mg) every 6-8 hours. This should make your pain better. (Remember that you can also take ibuprofen before using misoprostol, too.)
- If you used the abortion pills mifepristone and misoprostol, you probably do not need to visit a healthcare provider for a follow-up visit. Make sure you do not feel pregnancy symptoms, you feel in good health and your bleeding isn’t heavy. These medicines are so effective that the World Health Organization recommends that you need to have a follow-up only if:
- You feel sick or if your pain is not getting better after two or three days. If this occurs, seek medical attention right away.
You are still feeling pregnancy symptoms two weeks after taking the abortion pills.
Your bleeding is heavy and not getting lighter after two weeks.
Creating A Safety Plan Just In Case
According to the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, a first trimester medical abortion is one of the safest medical procedures. However, you should always be prepared for any possible medical emergency. Consider our questions below to help create your safety plan in case you need it.
- Where is the nearest 24 hour emergency medical center?You need to be able to get there within 1 hour or less. (If you have anemia, you should be able to get there within 30 minutes.)
How will you get to your emergency medical center?
Will someone be with you that is able to drive? Will you take a taxi? Public transportation? How much will it cost and will it be available 24 hours? Remember, it is not safe to drive yourself to the hospital during a medical emergency.
What To Tell Your Doctors?
Note: Is medical abortion or at-home abortion legally restricted where you live? What can you say to your doctors so that they understand the help you need, but that protects your privacy? We have some suggestions if you need help thinking of what to say.
- I'm unsure what's happening. I just started bleeding.
- I'm bleeding, but it doesn't feel like my normal period.
- I just suddenly started bleeding and I'm afraid something is wrong.