Before using Mifegest Abortion pills please consider the following Information
- Removed IUDs contraceptive device - If you have an intrauterine contraceptive device in the uterus (e.g. the coil IUD or the progesterone IUD) you must get it removed. IUDs must be removed before taking abortion
- If you are living with HIV, just make sure you’re not getting sicker, you’re on antiretroviral medicines, and your health is otherwise good.
- If you are breastfeeding a baby, the misoprostol pills may cause diarrhea in the baby. To avoid this, breastfeed the baby, take the misoprostol pills, and wait 4 hours before you breastfeed again.
- If you have anemia (have low iron in your blood), identify a health care provider who is no more than 30 minutes away that can help if you need it. If you are very anemic, consult a doctor before using abortion
- If you are concerned about keeping your abortion as private as possible, use the abortion pill in the sides of your mouth between your teeth and cheeks instead of vaginally. In the unlikely situation that you have
a complication and have to seek medical aid, the tablets may still be visible if used in the vagina. In some countries, you could be reported if pills are found in your vagina.
Please consider the following general advice.
- Drink plenty of water through the whole process.
- Eat lightly (e.g. crackers or toast may help with nausea).
- When you use the misoprostol pills, be in an area (like your home) where you have privacy and can lie down for a few hours after you use the pills if you want.
- Having someone with you who can look after you may be helpful.
- Consider taking ibuprofen before you use misoprostol to help minimize pain from cramping.
- Make a safety plan before using the abortion pills in case you need emergency medical help.